Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

What's On

Regular Events

Every Wednesday in term time 9.30–11.00am 'Little Fishes' playgroup, Vestry Hall

Every Friday 10am-11.45am  Coffee Morning in the Vestry Hall

Every Friday 10am Rhyme Time in the Library
Every Saturday 2.00 pm Marden Walking Group walks from the Library (approx 2–3 miles)

Dates for your Diary

Ongoing events

Living Memories in Marden

Please remember that there is always a poster in the planter by the Library phone box and in the library, in the church entrance and the Village Club.  And as many of you know, I always get round to answering emails! We also now have a facebook page so please check this for our posters and useful/interesting information.  If you put 'Marden Dementia Friendly Community facebook page' into google you will find us.  Alternatively, follow this link:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557462121155&paipv=0&eav=AfY_HZPw5-NJeECcoyXKCfFbABrgca8tvK3bELc8B0tPsQ_UiL73KqIbndTbZk3XgrY

Please note that our monthly lunches have now changed to Tuesdays starting this Tuesday 1 October at The West End Tavern.  I don't work on Tuesdays so I will be able to join you now and then, starting this Tuesday.  The following lunches will be as follows:

5 November - The Unicorn

3 December - by very kind invitation of Balfour Winery, our Christmas Party will be enjoyed together with Come and Sing and Sporting Memories 🎄

7 January - The Unicorn

4 February - The West End Tavern

4 March - The Unicorn

1 April - The West End Tavern

Our seated exercise class in the John Banks Hall on Fridays is sadly finishing on 15 November as Hamish's able assistant Millie is going on her travels and Hamish is taking time to  study.  We will try to get Millie back on her return but in the meantime we are looking for someone to take up the challenge - the challenge will be to follow in their footsteps as they have made exercise so much fun!  Please get in touch if you know of someone.  We will let you know when we find a replacement.  We will also be looking to do two classes, one in the John banks Hall and the other in the Vestry Hall on different days.  Watch this space!  

Have you heard about the West Kent Drop-in at the Paddock Wood Community Centre?  This is a drop-in for support, advice and if you have concerns for anyone you know affected by dementia.  There will be a Dementia Coordinator, someone from the Memory Service and from Involve and others you can chat with informally.  If you know someone who is in denial abot their cognitive issues, this may be a good starting point.  It is every 4th Friday of the month from 2 til 4pm.  The next one is Friday 25th October.  

You may also be interested in 'Living Well with Dementia Show 21st October' 10 till 4pm at Valley Park School, Maidstone ME14 5DT.  It will be an opportunity to ask questions, chat to support services and learn about new technology.  There will be helpful talks and different activities and it is free.

There is no excuse to be lonely at home if you live in Marden! Check out the posters at the Library for what's going on.  Also look at the Village Diary on the Church website:  https://www.mardenchurch.org.uk/specialevents.htm.  There are also posters in the Doctors' Surgery.  

There is also the weekly coffee morning in the library 10 - 11 on Thursday, and on Tuesday afternoons there is a games group from 2pm.  Pop along and have a chat, meet some new faces or, even better, some old ones!

We look forward to seeing you at one of the above events or at one of the many other social opportunities on offer in Marden.  

Best wishes to you all from The Marden Dementia Friendly Community Team
Rachel, Gail, Anne, Cathy, Nicky, Angus, Sarah

-------------------------

Citizens Advice

Unfortunately the Citizens Advice bureau no longer visit Marden.  If you need to discuss any issue with Citizens Advice whilst no visits are being made to Marden please telephone 01622 752420 / 01622 757882 alternatively they do hold sessions at Maidstone Gateway, King Street, Maidstone.

--------------------------

Guide Dogs My Guide Service

We are looking to recruit volunteers in the area to help support our My Guide service.  My Guide is a free service that helps people with a vision impairment get out of their homes and into the community with a volunteer as their sighted guide.

My Guide fully trains you as a volunteer, to provide confident sighted guide assistance, on a regular basis, to people living with sight loss, to help them achieve their goals, such as:

• Access services in your community
  • Gaining confidence on public transport
  • Engaging with your local community

What Will I Get Out Of It?

• Make a life-changing difference to someone in need in your community
  • An opportunity to build experience and knowledge of sight loss and develop your existing skills whilst doing something that you  enjoy
  • Help a charity do more while becoming a valued and integral part of the Guide Dogs team meeting with other Guide Dogs' volunteers

If you can spare a couple of hours a week and would like to know more information please contact the Guide Dogs team at Maidstone on 01189 838711 or email [email protected]

Community Singing:

Come and Sing - Bring along a friend and enjoy traditional and popular songs.  Alternate Thursdays in the Congregational Chapel at 2pm followed by refreshments 3-3.30pm.  £1 per session.  This group is supported by Marden Medical Centre, Marden PPG, the Parish Church and Congregational Chapel.  Please contact Sarah on 01622 832925 or Marden Medical Centre on 01622 831257.